Sunday, August 12, 2007

Jenkins ~ the future is bleak ~ Can he get the side to Semi Finals??????

My job is on the line - Jenkins Aug 12 2007




Wales On Sunday


GARETH JENKINS has admitted his future as Wales coach hangs on his side’s performance at the World Cup.

The former Scarlets supremo’s contract as national coach ends after the 2008 Six Nations campaign.

But he acknowledges Wales performance in the quarter-finals in France 2007 will decide whether he will get a new contract.

Jenkins has publicly stated Wales are good enough to reach a World Cup semi-final in this year’s tournament.

But a victory or even the manner of the defeat at the quarter-final stage in Marseille holds the key for his reign in charge.

“If we can get to the quarter-finals and we get a win it means we are in a semi-final,” said Jenkins.

“If we do get to a quarter-final it will be acceptable, but if we win and get to a semi-final it means I will have an opportunity to coach Wales for another couple of years.

“If I had three or four years as national coach I could then reflect and look back on what I have done.

“But I know it all depends on getting to the quarter-final and its result.

“What I do think will need to happen after the World Cup is that Welsh rugby needs to appraise itself.”

Jenkins was appointed as coach in 2006 and was handed a two-year contract.

He was the people’s choice for the job and his appointment was greeted with great fanfare.

But since he took charge Wales have hardly set the rugby world alight.

Jenkins can rightly point to the fact he was given the job with a World Cup looming on a horizon and with little time to prepare.

He has drawn up his own plan for the tournament and is sticking to it.

He knows, and wants, to be judged on Wales’ performance at the World Cup.

But Wales’ abject capitulation to England at Twickenham saw his ability to do the job called into question.

He has been a successful coach for more than 20 years but does he feel his reputation is on the line now?

“I don’t feel that,” said Jenkins. “It’s nearly an impossible situation I have found myself in.

“I had just over a year to a World Cup. Clive Woodward took seven years to win it, Eddie O’Sullivan and Bernard Laporte are going to a second World Cup.

“What chance have you got in 15 months to actually do something.

“Coaching takes time and it takes three years to get instant success.

“I am not daunted by it and I will give it my best shot with all the experience I have. I know I will have done it my way.

“I am on course and I wouldn’t change any major thing I have done. I am excited and I have waited a long time for this opportunity.”

Jenkins, though, does admit he plans to drop his monitoring role and start coaching himself.

He has clearly been stung but the flak which has been flying around this week.

“The time has come for us to switch on,” said Jenkins.

“I am definitely going to have a bigger influence now we are going into the tournament.

“I have tended to oversee the coaching and give others the responsibility for particular jobs.

“It’s time now that I become tighter with the coaching group. I have to be more hands-on.

“I will be accountable for all aspects of performance.”

But would he consider adding another pair of hands to his coaching team?

Would he consider going down the same route as Jake White, the South Africa coach, who has appointed Eddie Jones, the former Wallaby coach, to his Springboks backroom team for the World Cup?

“You cannot be an island but I am choosing to involve myself more,” said Jenkins.

“It’s not as if we don’t look for views or input from around the game.”

Jenkins has already laid down the marker for Wales’ clash with Argentina at the Millennium Stadium next Saturday.

He has told his players there is a minimum requirement for that game - a victory.

“We do need to evolve and develop our performance but more important than that we need to win,” said Jenkins.

“If we win, that is the most important thing. We win well and it’s a bonus. It’s certainly not about playing well and losing.

“We have to realise that every game we now play is about winning. We have to be absolutely clear that everything is about winning.

“It will be a bigger achievement for me than performing.

“The England defeat was tough and we all got bruised by that. But our reaction has been that we are better than that.”

Jenkins and his players know it’s time to prove exactly that.

No comments: