Sunday, August 19, 2007

I for one wished he'd applied

Kirwan: I’d love to coach Wales

Aug 19 2007




by Nick Rippington, Wales On Sunday


JOHN KIRWAN is eyeing a shot at the Wales job after the World Cup.

The All Black great is out to wreck Welsh hopes once again when he brings minnows Japan to Cardiff for the World Cup pool match on September 20.

Coach Kirwan could have been leading the Three Feathers into battle this autumn had circumstances been different, but the former Italy coach has not given up on one day taking on the job in the only country to rival his native New Zealand for their passion for the game.

He said: “I love going to Wales because the passion is still there and I’ve always said it would be a great honour to coach them.

“I was considering putting my name forward when Mike Ruddock left last year. But it became obvious that Wales were looking local and I didn’t bother applying. But it is still a job I would love to do.”

No comments: